Monday, October 4, 2010

Acropolis Greek Taverna - downtown St Petersburg, FL




I love it already and it just opened. My family and I attended the public opening and tried some of the great food Acropolis offered free to the those of the public willing to stand in line. We are talking a full buffet of food with meat, chicken, fish, pasta, dessert, etc. We were so impressed, we had to go back the next day and try it for lunch. For those of you who don't know, the Acropolis is located in the former space occupied by Bella Brava. Acropolis brightened up the space with new pictures and white chairs. The brick oven in the back is gone and replaced by a big table for a large group. When we stopped in for lunch, the place was crowded and I was impressed how busy they were at lunchtime on a weekday.

We were quickly seated and took a look at the drink menu. I loved the number of choices of greek beers and wines. I went for a white that was lovely and crisp and not too sweet. My husband tried the Mythos beer and it was also refreshing and a perfect match with the food. Our server brought us a big basket of warm bread and dip. We started with the calamari for appetizers, which was delicious and more than we could eat. After that we tried the egg, lemon, and chicken soup, which was another winner. My husband and son ordered gyros for their lunch because they cannot resist gyros. The gyros were delicious and also quite substantial. I ordered the special of the day, which was a lemon chicken dish. I love lemon dishes and this was no exception. The chicken consisted of a leg and thigh portion and it was perfect. Along with the chicken was a hearty serving of potatoes, peppers, and orzo pasta. Again, I could not finish it all. And as a perfect ending to our meal, I had an espresso and a baklava. The baklava was very good. Also, I want to add that the service was excellent.

I am very happy about this addition to the downtown area. I think the Acropolis will do far more justice to this beautiful space with their awesome food. (Sorry, Bella Brava sadly went downhill since Domenica Macchia left.) Acropolis is one of those places that will be awesome to go to on a date or with the whole family. This is pure comfort food, Greek style!

Acropolis Greek Taverna

515 Central Avenue
St Petersburg, FL 33701
727-823-1010

Acropolis Greek Taverna on Urbanspoon

No comments: