Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dooners - downtown St Petersburg, FL







Dooners opened in the spot previously occupied by Athenian Gardens in downtown St Petersburg, and I was anxious to try the food offered by the new resident. Walking into Dooners for the first time, I liked the way they redecorated and was greeted by friendly staff. The menu and food counter where you order are the first thing you see as you walk in the door. Place your order, get your food, pay, and take your food to your table.

We decided to try a variety of menu items. We ordered the doner sandwich, chicken schnitzel, and the beef borek, which is a pastry filled with beef. I liked the meat in the doner sandwich, but I wasn't sure if I liked the bread that it was served in, because I thought the bread was too thick. I liked the mushroom gravy that was served on top of the chicken schnitzel. The schnitzel was served with a choice of two sides and we had fries and rice with our order. Finally, I really enjoyed the borek filled with beef. Altogether, I liked the food, but I wasn't really wowed by anything. However, it is handy to have close by if you are drinking at the Independent next door and want to grab some food to bring along.

21 3rd Street North
St Petersburg, FL 33701
727-623-4848



Dooners on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We ate there also not too long ago and had the Schoner. The sandwich was pressed naan with lamb, feta cheese, seasoned veggies and homemade tzatzkiki. It was fan-tas-tic. Like some better known "greek" places but better in my opinion. I'll have to try the borek next time. That looked pretty awesome.