Friday, April 30, 2010

Old Farmer's Creamery - St Petersburg, FL



In need of an ice cream fix, my son and I headed over to Old Farmer's Creamery in St Petersburg. It is not hard to miss, if you drive on 4th street, just north of downtown. It is not hard to miss because it is this big red building meant to bring to mind a barn. The fence in the parking lot out back continues the farm theme as it is painted white and black like a cow. Head inside to see where the real fun starts along with the continued farm them.

Inside, one will find multiple cases of ice cream and the hardest part for some might be what flavor to chose. I heard they make their own ice cream and I asked to make sure. The reply was they make their own ice cream, but at a separate facility, as there is not enough space at the shop. I was happy to hear they make their own ice cream rather than mass produced ice cream that one can already buy in the grocery store. After a look through the ice cream cases, one of which was devoted to various chocolate flavors, we made our choices.

I have to confess, we did not go out on a limb when we made our choices. I already knew whatever my son chose would involve chocolate. Predictably, he chose one scoop of chocolate and one scoop of vanilla. For myself, I am a solid lover of vanilla ice cream, so I chose one scoop of classic vanilla ice cream and one scoop of pecan praline ice cream. On top of that I added hot fudge and whip cream. Sounds like a sundae to me, except I chose not to add the nuts and cherry to make it an official sundae. The ice cream was pure decadence and delicious and we both loved it. One of the things that impressed me most about the pecan praline was that it had a nice crunch. Sometimes I buy it from other places and it has kind of lost its crunch. Happily, this was not the case at Old Farmer's Creamery.

I could go on about Old Farmer's Creamery and their ice cream forever, ice cream lover that I am, but I won't. I say go try the ice cream and let it speak for itself. Enjoy local ice cream here in St Petersburg!

Old Farmer's Creamery
2531 4th Street North
St Petersburg, FL 33704
727-896-2827

Old Farmer's Creamery on Urbanspoon

No comments: